The Mountain State is an optimal destination for experiencing new things and visiting new places this fall. From beautiful outdoor scenery to agritourism, West Virginia offers adventures of all types to get you out and exploring. There’s much to do and many things to see, but here are 10 ideas for making this fall especially memorable.
Exploring Across West Virginia
- Kenova Pumpkin House is a favorite of tourists and locals alike, attracting nearly 30,000 visitors a year to its incredible display of pumpkin artistry. Fun Fact: It’s also located in the hometown of Wing 2 Wing Founder Brad D. Smith.
- Climb aboard the Potomac Eagle Scenic train for optimal foliage views across their different routes through the West Virginia Potomac Highlands.
- Orr’s Farm Market is a family-owned agritourism destination where guests can pick their very own pumpkin from the pumpkin patch, visit barnyard animals, shop at the farmer’s market, and more.
- Old McDonald’s Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze is a great destination for harvesting pumpkins, weaving through a corn maze and other family-friendly fall activities.
- Blackwater Falls State Park is renowned for beautiful fall foliage and the 57-foot-tall Blackwater Falls — one of the most photographed locations in West Virginia.
- Venture through historic West Virginia at Cass Scenic Railroad Historical State Park, which offers scenic train rides for the best views of the season. Don’t forget to check out the park’s Historical Theater and Historical Museum.
- The Hatfield McCoy Trail System offers extreme adventure for ATV, UTV and dirtbike riders with trails located in the same place as the famous Hatfield-McCoy in the 1800s.
- Hawks Nest State Park boasts 270 acres of parkland ready to explore, including its best-known feature and namesake overlooking the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve.
- From football to volleyball, cheer on the Marshall University Thundering Herd alongside President Brad D. Smith as the university takes on competitors during the fall sports season.
- Catch the West Virginia University Mountaineers in action at one of their fall sporting events including football, women’s soccer, and volleyball.
Find Your Fall Fun
No matter where your adventure leads you, there’s plenty to explore this fall in West Virginia. Discover all the mountain state has to offer by visiting the West Virginia Tourism website.